Monday, August 24, 2009

Wives and Daughters

Molly Gibson has grown up with only one parent to love, her devoted father (the towns doctor).
As he comes to realize she has become a woman, he feels she needs a mothers care and love. However Molly has very different idea's... when he announces his engagement to a Miss Claire she finds herself with a stepmother she can not love and a new sister.
Molly finds her dear friend Roger Hameley (that she has secretly come to love) falling in love with Cynthia her sister instead, and when Cynthia attracts more attention Molly is left in the corner with her hidden feelings and trials.
In a spin of events Molly's heart is broken (more than once), she finds herself in the middle of a love triangle that is not her own, and she is falsely accused by the whole town! Oh poor Molly?

Can this story end happily for Molly? After her life is turned upside down?

I found myself falling in love with most of the characters excepting Mrs. Gibson (Miss Claire) and Cynthia. No I could not love Cynthia even though some have done so, she is so selfish and full of herself and she puts Molly into the worst kind of situation. I felt bad for Preston (one of Cynthia's admirers) as she jilted him when I think he was truly in love with her... yet I could not find myself falling in love with such a man.

I fell in love with all of Rogers family and cried when the misfortune train hit them all. Her father was altogether to hasty in marrying Miss Claire, but if he did not we would not have a movie. It was very well done in terms of quality the sound was good and the picture was wonderful, the music was wonderfully romantic as it should be in movies like this. I think the cast worked together wonderfully well I could have believed that Cynthia and Mrs. Gibson were mother and daughter, and Molly and Mr. Gibson father and daughter.

It is one of my favorite period drama's... and now we get to the costumes!

This was one of Molly's day dresses... her hair is always put up so much more plainly than her sisters or mothers but I liked that. I love it when she is in blue... and would love to recreate this someday.

Jenny Chancey has a pattern for this dress (some of her patterns were created after this movie) And I think her dresses became a bit more 'grown up' through the film.

This is a dress she wears when they have the Hameley's over... a little 'Cynthia style', and I saw she adopted some more fashionable clothes when Cynthia came to stay.

Here is her green day dress again.

The yellow dress. (I think she only wears once) to her fathers wedding, and wears a plain green shawl over it... her bonnet has a large white ribbon around it. One of my favorite dresses on her.


She wears this dress throughout the film (I think they put her in it every time she is with her father alone?!? It has a worn look to it (but that might be because it's brown), and the plain brown bonnet she wears with it with a brown checkered ribbon. I noticed that with her day dresses she always wears dickeys under her collar or lace around the neckline.
Another of her plainer day dresses, next to Cynthia they look very plain. But alone I think they are very sweet. And her plain brown apron. This is my favorite dress on Molly, it gave her colour and made her look older. Again she has adopted Cynthia's fashion sense but keeping her own at the same time.

Molly's ball gown... this is the only time she wears her hair like this, I think Lady Harriet was petting her again. But she still looks very sweet. I truly like the dress.




Another of her day dresses.




Her simple white muslin dress that I adore. Jenny Chancey has a pattern for this as well.


A jumper she wears with a white blouse underneath.


I could not find any of Cynthia's dresses... maybe I'll try another time.












No comments: