Monday, August 17, 2009

The Abduction Club
The name is misleading I know (I was warry at first) but after reading all the reviews I could find, and watching all the trailers I finally watched it and fell in love with the story. And the costumes of course.
The sad part of it is though... it happens to be a UK film and was not made in American format. The only thing you could do is buy a DVD player that plays UK films... or watch it in sections on YouTube!
If you want to watch it you can find it under this title: The Abduction Club 1/9.
Enjoy it... I found nothing offensive, and nothing sensual.
It'll steal your heart.
The Abduction Club is set up of a bunch of younger sons of gentleman, who when their older brothers get everything... they get nothing.
That is why this club has been made... so that these young men may find heiresses to fall in love with and marry, so that they may after all have some fortune.
Byrne and Strang set their sights on the beautiful yet feisty Kennedy sisters, Catherine (Alice Evans) and Anne (Sophia Myles), daughters to blustering nobleman Robert Kennedy (John Arthur).
Alas, the ladies are not impressed with the two friends' well-honed charm - indeed, both women could not be more disinterested - and one of Anne's other suitors, cold-hearted John Power (Liam Cunningham), doesn't take kindly to their kidnapping.
So Byrne and Strang go on the run with the ladies, hoping to change their minds as they gallop across the glorious Irish countryside.
Meanwhile, Powers implicates his love rivals in the murder of a Redcoat soldier, and duly enlists the help of good friend, Attorney General Lord Fermoy (Edward Woodward), to order the immediate arrest and execution of Byrne and Strang.
Soldiers are quickly deployed, and the two bachelors soon find themselves running for their lives, and protecting an increasingly smitten Catherine and Anne from harm.
And you must find out for yourself what happens in the end!
The costumes in this movie made my heart throb! And even though the girls are more richly dressed throughout most of the film I think that they wear these very well. And I must say I loved the guy's costumes as well.
These are some of the more elegant gowns, and the hair is quite lovely too.
I love Catherine Kennedy's dress here and the bonnet (on the left), and think Anne wears this again at some point.

I do not much care for the pink dress here, but Anne's dress make me want to sew!

I love this dress.


Here you can see Catherine's bonnet better, I love the dress pattern.


You can't see this very well but I think this is the one she wears at the races in the picture above.

And there you are! Of course anything (well perhaps not everything) with Sophia Myles in it is bound to make me watch the whole thing... more than once.







1 comment:

Maria Grazia said...

Hello, Sarah! Lovely movie and good review. Just a question ... why don't you send the link to your posts for the challenge to LIGHTS, CAMERA ... HISTORY! so that all the participants can share your progress in the tasks? It would be nice. Anyway... I'll be back and have a look from time to time! Cheers! MG