Wednesday, January 20, 2010

To Save a Life Movie

OK, what if you were the 'cool kid' in school had the 'hot' girlfriend and were on the way to a basketball future?
What if your best friend from 1st grade is now the object of your jokes and cruelty?
What would you do if he killed himself in the school hallway?

Jake feels Robert's death is his fault, so he goes to a youth pastor and asks for guidance.
It results in his baptism, and his turning towards those 'other kids' in school instead of his partying friends.
But a pregnant girlfriend sends his mind spinning and questions going through his mind like 'why is God doing this to me', but He gives Jake the strength to stand by her and push her away from abortion. Does it end happily? I don't know I haven't seen it yet... and don't know if I will?!

This Christian made movie is there to send tough topics out to the world- 1/20/10- and shows them for what they are, empty and void.
Drugs, teenage pregnancy, drinking, suicide, and more happen in this film.
With a good cause in mind, I think they show too much of what you know goes on in the world.
But even if your struggling in your walk with the Lord, your not getting girls pregnant or taking drugs and drinking, so do you need what this movie is trying to tell the American culture?

In my mind I think this is a great movie... for those that need the message.

But if you have a friend you know is having a hard time with those things, tell them about it!

3 comments:

Tabitha said...

Hey Sarah! What's this movie rated? Samantha A was telling me about it on Sun. They haven't seen it and aren't planning on it but it raised discussion in their family, about cinematography in general and if delivering a biblical message justifies questionable themes within the movie. I guess "To Save a Life" was pretty questionable, from what I've heard, apparently I know someone who watched in theaters and walked out on it. Sun was the first I heard about the movie, it has piqued my interest. :)

Sarah Thomsen said...

PG-13,

I watched the trailer (and that's it) even in that there was VERY questionable stuff going on.
Like I said in a 'Christian' film they do not need to show what you know goes on in the world, they could have shown it in a way that was by no means questionable.
Just like some books, this is a movie for those that need it.

AlissandraM said...

I have to say that I think this movie handles things very well. What you see in the trailer is all there is. Read this review on pluggedin.com http://www.pluggedin.com/movies/intheaters/tosavealife.aspx. I haven't seen the whole thing yet so I can't say if there are things that I would personally object to or not, but this film is not really directed towards a Christian audience, but to teens who need the message it has. "Rated PG-13 for mature thematic elements involving teen suicide, teen drinking, some drug content, disturbing images and sexuality." Some things do have to be shown to get the message across, but in this movie, I'm pretty sure that things aren't shown explicitly or just for show.